Friday, March 6, 2009

Exclamatory Verbage!!!!

"OH, HOT DOG!"
Even before Jeffrey R. Holland's talk (May Conference 2007) about the language we use around our families, I'd tried to watch my words. I remember the saying, "A soft answer turneth away wrath (Prov. 15:1)" and I know that the effect of kind words lifts those around us. But non abrasive, not-so-hard-to-hear words of frustration are sometimes hard to find in those moments of exasperation. So a while back, I came up with a few softer, easier-to-hear words that make my family aware that I'm miffed about something, but don't have that cutting edge to them.
"Oh, hot dog!" has stuck for the past few years, and had even made our youngest girl giggle. It usually comes out when I've realized something important didn't get done or didn't happen.
Such as:
Upon reaching the car with my cart full of groceries, I realized I forgot the milk I came for. "Oh, hot dog!"
With the first batch of chocolate chip cookies ready to go into the oven, I realized I forgot to add the eggs! "Oh, hot dog!"
I got all the way home from the store and realized I was supposed to put gas in the truck. "Oh, hot dog!"

"BOLONEY!" (I know it's really spelled Bologna) is used when I don't believe a word of what someone is saying.
Such as:
One of the boys says they've emptied the bathroom trash. "Boloney! Go empty it!"
"I don't have any homework!" "Boloney!"
"I DID sweep the floor!" "Boloney!"

In some instances, my frustration peaks and a foreign language comes out. Some kind of incomplete, jumbled words that don't even sound like real words gets blurted at someone at an instant when they're supposed to be hurrying up or when they need an attention-getting blast. "Bwa-ten-o-muh-sow-ehn!" This muddled word is never the same, but it's enough to get someone moving!

When I was little, my mother used to say "Fiddlesticks!" I thought, at the time, it was a cute thing to say, but never picked up on it.

Although I'm no where near perfect at using the English language to express my feelings and thoughts, at least for now, hopefully whatever words DO come out of my mouth during those moments of irritation, are a little softer on the ears!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely something I needed to read. I have to work on using nicer words when I am angry. I like the boloney one a lot. I even tried it out a few times just now and it works for me. :)

Rebecca Talley said...

I always use, "Man," when I'm at the "Oh, hot dog," stage. Good ideas and words.

Great post! Thanks.

Momzoo said...

LOL!!!

I use Baloney too, or "awwww nuts!"

My Mom says "oh crumb"...and we make fun of her....

Momzoo said...

oh I forgot to add...if I am especailly frusterated I will say "awwwww STINKING nuts"

Heather said...

i have to say, things that make you laugh, but let you get your frustration out are great. I had a friend in school that would say Orange Juice. he is still known for that to this day. Growing up in a house where the words were harsh and loud, I appreciate you trying to make a difference in your home. I have been trying to do something simmilar in ours.

Anonymous said...

I love how you try so hard to be good, nice, and sweet about things.